From:
Chris Gralapp <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Gralapp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2012 09:28:42 -0700

I just got off the phone with ECOVER, the company that makes the dish
washing liquid that contains hydrolyzed wheat protein. They said that it
does contain gluten, and the decision to use the product is up to the
individual. Non-food products such as this are not included in FDA
allergen reporting guidelines.

Hydrolyzed wheat protein is very much gluten. According to
www.gnolls.org <http://www.gnolls.org>, hydrolyzed wheat protein is:
The protein we’ve extracted can be spray-dried into “textured vegetable
protein”, which would require another article to explain…
…or the protein can be “hydrolyzed”. Hydrolysis is basically chemical
digestion on an industrial scale: the protein is dropped into a vat of
sulfuric acid, boiled for several hours to over a day in order to break
down the proteins, after which lye is added to raise the pH back to neutral.

Other responses instructed me 'not to ingest'. Of course, this is the
goal--I can understand not ingesting shampoo or other grooming
products--but when one is washing cookware and utensils that will go
into our mouths, with humans being the fallible creatures that they are,
it is likely that not all of the stuff will be rinsed off. I am reminded
of people on this list who have continued symptoms despite total
elimination of gluten-containing food--please think about checking
labels apart from food labels! I tell you I was so surprised to see
wheat is a dish soap.

The product in question is ECOVER Lemon and Aloe. ECOVER says that this
is the only product that contains gluten--all other formulations are
gluten-free.

Chris in CA