From:
diane meier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
diane meier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2007 17:22:07 +0000

Hi Everyone,
I hope that the CD community will take action to make sure that FDA doesn't
get away with allowing contaminated oats to be included in foods labeled as
gluten-free under the FDA's Proposed Rule.   (Keep in mind that Congress
required the FDA to come up with this definition as part of the 2004 law
that protects American people with allergies and with celiac disease)

I am absolutely appalled that the FDA Proposed Rule does not designate oats
as one of the prohibited grains.  The FDA notes in the Proposed Rule that
“3 of the 4 major celiac associations in the United States  … take the
position that oats are not an acceptable food for individuals with celiac
disease.”  Why did the FDA choose to ignore the majority opinion about oats
in the celiac community?  This is totally unacceptable.

Please take a few moments and make comments to FDA about this issue.  The
comments that I’m sending to FDA are provided below for your information -
please feel free to use any of the language in your own comments.    As
other emails have noted recently, we can make comments via email or snail
mail to the FDA for 90 days.
Diane

To: Food and Drug Administration, HHS
Re: Docket No. 2005N-0279] RIN 0910-ZA26
Proposed rule, Food Labeling; Gluten-Free Labeling of Foods

I am extremely concerned that oats are not included in the FDA rule’s list
of “prohibited grains.” As the grandmother of a child with celiac disease, I
am worried about how this will increase the risks to my granddaughter’s
health.

Since my granddaughter was diagnosed with celiac disease at the age of 18
months, our family has carefully avoided any product with oats, based on the
advice of doctors and literature regarding the disease.

Contamination of Oats with Prohibited Grains
The reason why we don’t want our granddaughter to take any risk of eating
oats is clearly identified in the FDA Proposed Rule:

“…a major obstacle impeding general acceptance of oats in the diet of
individuals with celiac disease is the concern about the commingling of oats
with wheat, rye or barley that can occur during grain production, transport,
storage, or processing” (excerpt from FDA proposed Rule, Background)

The FDA admits that contamination is a serious problem with current
agricultural practices.   However, the FDA resorts to wishful thinking that
these agricultural practices will change.  Where is the data to support the
idea that the rule will serve as “an incentive for more manufacturers to
produce such (gluten-free) oats?” (excerpt from FDA Qs&As)

The FDA’s vague hope for changes in agricultural practices would be
laughable, if it weren’t for the threat this represents to the health of
people with celiac disease.   We need protection from the FDA, not vague
hopes.  The cross-contamination of oats with “prohibited grains” is a fact
of life in agriculture and should not be treated so lightly in the FDA rule.

Irrelevance of Studies Regarding Oats
The FDA mentions recent studies showing that people with celiac disease can
tolerate gluten-free oats.   These studies are not relevant because they
were carefully controlled so that the oats were not contaminated by
prohibited grains.  These studies do not prove that people with celiac
disease can tolerate oats contaminated with prohibited grain; therefore, it
is irresponsible for the FDA to rely on these studies in the Proposed Rule.
The FDA should make oats a prohibited grain until studies prove that
gluten-free oats are available and being used by manufacturers.

Need to Designate Oats as Prohibited Grain
I support the implementation of the FDA’s Option Seven, which is specified
as follows in the proposed rule:

“Option Seven : Take Proposed Action, Except Include Oats in the List
of Grains That We Propose to Prohibit in Foods That Firms Label as
Gluten-Free” (excerpt from FDA proposed Rule)

The FDA’s analysis of Option 7 does not provide a reasonable basis for
dismissing it:

“We could also expand the list of prohibited grains to include oats. Some
consumers with celiac disease may be unable to tolerate some of the proteins
that naturally occur in oats and may prefer to avoid oats in addition to
avoiding the proposed prohibited grains and ingredients people make from
those grains discussed in Option Two. However, other consumers with celiac
disease may be able to tolerate the proteins that naturally occur in oats
and, therefore, may wish to consume oats when following a diet that does not
include gluten ….”  (excerpt from FDA proposed Rule, Background)

Obviously, any consumer who wants to eat oats can choose from a wide variety
of oat products.   However, people with celiac disease who wish to avoid any
oats in their diet depend on the labels indicating that a product is gluten
free.

Our family knows that my granddaughter should not eat oats.  If the FDA
implements Option 7, we will be able to trust that she is safe eating a
product marked gluten-free.  If not, we will not know how to evaluate a
product and its potential risk for my granddaughter.

I am outraged that the FDA Proposed Rule is ignoring that   “3 of the 4
major celiac associations in the United States  … take the position that
oats are not an acceptable food for individuals with celiac disease,”
(excerpt from FDA proposed Rule, Background)

I urge the FDA to reconsider the Proposed Rule and select Option 7 and
provide the protection that was intended when Congress passed the Food
Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act (FALCPA) in 2004.

Diane Meier