From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2013 17:34:31 -0400

I thought I posted this years ago, but couldn't find it in the archives.  So here goes again.  For the Jewish New Year, one of the things I make is homemade kreplach (basically, triangular ravioli that are filled with sauteed ground beef and onions, and then boiled...ultimately ending up in chicken soup (if they don't get eaten first!)

My recipe is the homemade pasta recipe from The Glluten-free Gourmet, by Bette Hagman...her first book.

I double the pasta recipe (but use less xanthan gum) and use about one lb of ground beef, sauteed with one medium diced onion.  This makes about 24-30 kreplach, depending upon the size.  I do make them into triangles, by slicing the dough in long pieces, and then into squares or diamonds.  I dip my fingers in water to "glue" the edges together, after placing some of the meat filling in the center.  Note...the amounts below are double her recipe.

Sautee the ground beef and diced onion in a little oil....ahead of time, so that it's cool to handle, even the night before.  I use generous amounts of pepper, but that's up to you.

Bring a large pot of water to boil.  Add a little salt.  Maybe a little oil.  Have handy...a slotted spoon to remove kreplach from water and some big tray or bowl to drain them on afterwards.

If you are putting them straight into a bowl of chicken soup, from the pot, cook for the full 20 minutes.  If you are reheating them or freezing them, then cook for 10-15 minutes...until they float and the dough looks done.  You can snip off a piece to taste.  Don't overcook.  Do add fresh water...lots of it.  Don't boil in the soup.  The starch will ruin your soup.

In addition to the recipe, have about another cup of the mixed flours handy...to use for your hands, the rolling pin, and the surface where you'll be rolling and cutting.  Whenever the dough gets too sticky take add some of the flour from this resource.

Mix in a bowl:
2 / 3 cup tapioca flour
2 / 3 cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons potato starch
1 / 2 tsp salt  (This recipe eats up salt!)
2-3 tsp xanthan gum.  She calls for tablespoons, but I found that was way too gooey.

Stir this around with fingers, so dry stuff is mixed, more or less.
Mix 4 large eggs and 2 tbs oil in a bowl.  Then add this to dry mix.

Mix with your hands.  When it is pulling away from the bowl, dump it out on floured surface (that was NEVER used for gluten).  Knead until a ball...not overdone...then, just a couple of minutes or so.  I slice mine in half and work each half separately.  The first batch or two boils, while you're rolling and folding the second.

Roll out very thin...just before it's going to rip.  After slicing into squares or triangles or diamonds, put some meat in the center.  Wet the edges, and fold each over into a triangle.   Seal by pressing edges carefully, using a fork, if you wish. Be careful...forks tend to rip into the dough.

Boil as described about.. 10-20 minutes.  Drain excess liquid.

You can use this dough for ravioli.  I used to slice it into thin strips and deep fry into delicious Chinese noodles...also in her book, so you could probably make some sort of fried dumpling out of it.  Or just plain pasta....although, these days, I use much more healthy products, if I eat carbs at all.   These kreplach are too good to monkey with.  Some recipes online call for chickpea flour.   I'm sticking with this recipe, since I make it only once a year, and it tastes great. Freezes well, too.  Just boil your soup and drop the frozen ones into the soup, and they'll cook up pretty quickly.  Make more than you need!  You'll find that some never make it to the soup or freezer, because they are soooo good.