Date:
Sun, 23 Aug 1998 19:47:09 -0500

Okay, now I have to add my two cents as I'm getting kinda tired of this
bickering.  Seems to me CSA (along with other groups) has come in handy for
most of us at one time or another, even if it is only for some really good
recipes in the newsletters.  Why pick on them on this issue.  I, for one,
cannot tolerate quinoa, spelt, buckwheat or oats (another bucket of
worms).  I appreciate that these items are listed as ones to watch out for
as it may help confirm symptoms if these items are ingested (accidentally
or not).  I use the CSA list when I have become accidentally "contaminate"
to help pinpoint what ingredient (hidden or not) I might have ingested that
would cause symptoms.

I think it all boils down to using common sense and listening to your own
body and its reactions.  If it bothers you, don't eat it!  If it doesn't,
you make your own choice.  The one thing about CD is that it is a self
monitering illness.  We have total control over what we do and do not
consume.  Let's quit putting the responsibility on others and lists and
start taking charge of our own health and well being.

If you disagree with CSA, don't support the organization or try to become
active in the chapter nearest you and inact change if it is warranted.  My
dad always told me to be a part of the solution, not the problem.  I still
think it is great advice.

One note on the incidence of CD.  Aren't they taking this information from
biopsy diagnosed individuals and not including serologically diagnosed
ones?  I think this is a reason why some people insist on the biopsy even
after positive serology; it helps researchers and funding, not necessarily
the patient.  I would think there are many incidences where an immediate
change of diet would far outweigh waiting to schedule and endoscopy and
getting the results (not to mention the followup appointment.)  As we all
know, the only thing that can "cure" CD is a complete change of diet.

Trying to stay "clean"
kris
wichita, ks