From:
Joan Beade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 13:47:40 -0400

Thank you everyone for responding to my questions.  Here is what I learned:
First for those of us new to the list and to DH, there is alot of information
on the internet.  (I had already read most of this.)  Also many of my
questions were addressed in an survey done through the list in April of 97.
You can read these in the archives of the list.  When we first signed on to
the list they gave you instructions on how to do this.

I also found out it can take several biopsys to get a positive result.  One
person it took twelve.  The doctor needs to be careful to get a specimen of
normal looking skin near the blister, and not the blister itself.

It can take anywhere from a few weeks to a couple years for the rash to
completely go away after going on a gluten free diet.  But there is some
question that when it takes an extended period of time that the person may
not be on strict diet or be ingesting "hidden" glutens.

After being gluten free, and accidentally (or on purpose) ingesting gluten it
can take anywhere for 45min. to a week to break out in a rash, and it can
then take a couple of weeks to clear again.  Also a couple of people that
were orignally diagnosed with just DH developed GI symptoms when they
ingested gluten after they had been gluten free.

For one person his DH systoms cleared on a diet eliminating oats, canola
oil,grain vinegar, soy products (including Vit E) and grain alcohol.
The blood test done for CD is also relative to DH.  I'm going to see my
Dermotologist on Monday to see about getting this test.

Some very important things for us to remember:  Diet is the only treatment -
the drugs just treat the symptoms!  We need to remember that although DH
manifests itself in blisters the same intestinal damage and potential
escalation into other of the autoimmune systems can occur.

Some of you asked if I was on Dapsone.  First my doctor didn't want to give
it to me without a positive biopsy.  Second I hate taking medication, so if I
could stand to get it under control with out the drugs and their side effects
so much the better.  Betamethasone creams (by prescription only) help in the
interum.

I hope this information helps others!

Joan
Redmond, WA