From:
Sheryl Tingley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 17:42:43 PST

This recipe was sent to me as an alternative bread to use in place of
store bought gf bread. Thanks goes to Glenda. I love the name.

Hockey Pucks

2       cups    tapioca flour
1 ¼     cups    potato starch flour
½       cup     corn flour
½       cup     potato flakes (Hannaford brand work great)
¼       cup     rice bran for added fiber, if desired
¾       cup     SoyQuik powder
1 ½     tsp.    salt
3 ½     tsp.    xanthan gum
¼       cup     sugar
1       tbsp.   egg replacer
¼       cup     olive oil
3       eggs
1       cup     water (Minus 2 tbsp.)
1       tsp.    apple cider vinegar

4       tsp.    yeast
1       cup     very warm/105° water PLUS
1       tbsp.   sugar

Combine 1 cup warm water PLUS 1 tbsp. sugar and yeast. Set aside.
Combine dry ingredients in large mixing bowl.
Combine oil, eggs, and (1 cup minus 2 tbsp.) water and add to dry
ingredients. Then add yeast mixture and add vinegar. Mix well (about 3
to 4 min.). On a small, low-power mixer, it might take longer.
Spoon into greased/PAM muffin top pan. Let it rise 25 minutes in a
warm/200 degrees F oven.
Remove from oven and preheat. Bake 325 degrees F about 15 min. or until
brown.
Allow to cool before cutting. Of course, may be eaten while hot and is
actually advised.
When cool, slice in half and freeze any pucks not to be eaten
immediately. These should be warmed or toasted for best results (can
actually warm in low oven and they become more like a crunchy melba
toast) (microwave works, but toaster oven is best).

NOTES:  This recipe makes 12 large muffin tops PLUS:

GARLIC BREADSTICKS: to the remaining dough in the mixing bowl, I add 1
tsp. garlic powder or granulated garlic and 2 tsp. Italian Seasoning or
a blend of dried seasonings. Blend well. Snip a 1" corner from a plastic
storage bag. Spoon dough into bag. Pipe out of plastic bag for
breadsticks on large baking sheet. Makes quite a few.
OR

        CINNAMON RAISIN SCONES: Made 12 hockey pucks. Plump ½ cup raisins in
hot water 20-30 minutes. Mix 2 tbsp. sugar and 1-2 tsp. cinnamon
together; add to remaining batter and mix well. Stir in ½ cup raisins,
drained. Made 10 biscuit-sized scones. Too good to believe!!

Glenda Tyler
November 13, 1998

        "Friendship is a sheltering tree"  ;)