From:
Robin and Doug Schantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 09:39:27 -0500

Hi listmembers!

This goes out to men and women alike:  has anyone gone through the
experience of being pregnant, or living with a spouse who was pregnant,
with Celiac disease?  My husband and I are very anxious to have another
baby soon, but I've never had one when I had the disease.  I have a 6
and a 7 year old now, but I was only diagnosed with CD this past
August.   I have some concerns for my health as well as the
baby-to-be's.

First of all, will I become more sensitive to gluten when I'm pregnant?
Usually pregnancy can worsen conditions, and I'm afraid that I might
become more sensitive or have worse reactions to gluten.  I consider
myself pretty lucky now.  I don't react to caramel color in colas, and
I've never had a reaction to vinegar or alcoholic drinks.  However, I
hear about people who go into a bakery where there is wheat flour
drifting in the air and they become sick.  I'm hoping this type of thing
won't happen to me, but I guess I'll never know until it happens.  Has
anyone had an increased sensitivity or new/different reactions to gluten
while pregnant?

How about the unborn baby not being introduced to any gluten source?
Will that make him/her ultra-sensitive to gluten once he/she consumes it
on his/her own?  I doubt there is any risk to the baby in being deprived
of gluten--as we all know, it's possible to live without it.  My concern
is that the baby might react to it when he/she finally is old enough to
eat a piece of bread or a teething biscuit.

How about any other complications that may arise while being pregnant
with CD?  I'm very familiar with the fatigue and sciatica and swollen
ankles, etc. that come along with the teritory normally.  Has anyone
experienced anything different that they contribute to CD?

I'd really appreciate hearing any experiences that any moms or dads have
had with this.  Thanks in advance to all of you who have been great at
responding to all of my questions this far!!!

Robin in Indiana