From:
kippiann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 20:07:22 -0500

Someone just asked about Altoids and it reminded me that I hadn't posted
this to the list yet.  I think I was so mad I blocked it.

I was curious as to the gluten free status of Altoids.  I checked the
archives and there are varying opinions on the gluten free status, more
specifically if the lines are floured to keep the mints separated.

I attempted to contact the manufacturer via the phone number listed in the
archives.  This number is no longer in service.  I contacted Altoids via
their website and asked about their GF status, most specifically the floured
line question.   This is the response that I received:

> Thank you for visiting our Web-Site.
>
> Based on the information and assurances received from our ingredient
> suppliers, we have developed a list of our products that do NOT
> contain gluten.  I would be happy to send this list to you if you send
> us your mailing address.  Once you receive the list, if the product
> you are specifically interested in does not appear, we recommend that
> you base your decision on the ingredient line.  If you want to be
> conservative, assume that gluten might be present.  Please continue to
> carefully read the ingredient line on all food labels to obtain the
> most accurate ingredient information at the time you purchase the product.
>
> We look forward to hearing from you.

> ------------------------------

So I sent them my mailing address and a few WEEKS later, this is what I
received via email.  I have not received anything from snail mail:

 Thank you for your email.

> We apologize for telling you in a previous email, that we had some gluten
> information to share with you.  After researching our records we had
> discovered that unfortunately we do not have gluten content information on
> this product.  I'll be happy to report your comments to our production and
> nutrition staff.
>
> Again we're sorry for the disappointment.

By the way, Altoids now must be owned/operated by KRAFT because this is who
sent me both emails.  I still don't know the status of these mints and
have not felt up to experimenting.  Anybody else out there with any
information?

Thanks
kris
wichita ks