From:
Jane Conrad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 12:58:39 AST

Well, I'm finally summarizing the responses I received, when I asked
my question about package tours to Ireland,Scotland,England, and what
happens if when the meals are included and there is nothing gluten
free, and they won't substitute.  By the way, thank you all who
responded, it was greatly appreciated!

I received approx. 20 responses, so I'll try to summarize the best I
can.

A few who have gone to Ireland,Scotland and England, said they
had no problems finding food to eat.  And their tour guides faxed
their restaurant cards to the hotels the day before they got there so
they would be prepared.  It wasn't to hard for them to substitute.
Some said if the travel agent won't do it, to fax your request to the
tour company and see what they will do.

One person said be careful in the UK as wheat starch is
considered gluten free.

One person said go on a tour that does not include meals,
however, I 'm not sure I can find one that doesn't.

And most said to bring alot of snacks with you (ones that obviously
don't require refridgeration), and ask the tour guide when you get
there if they know where you can buy some gluten free snacks.
A few said they don't go on the package tours, but go on their own
and get a place with a kitchenette, and go on picnics, and avoid
the restaurants.

However, I will be travelling by myself and have been advised to go
on a package tour since it will be my first time, and I'm not familiar
with anything over there.  If you've been there a few times it would
be easier to go on your own, and see what you want to see.

So I guess it can be done, alot of people with food restrictions do
travel, and as long as they are careful, they had no problems.  The
meals may be a little boring, but as long as you don't get sick,
which is my main fear.  To be sick on a plane or tour bus would be
horrendous!!!!!  The last time I accidentally ingested gluten I was so
violently ill I thought I'd die and hoped it would be quick!!!!!!  I can't
imagine being that sick away from home!  I also will contact my
doctor before I go to see if he will suggest anything I can take with
me to lesson the severity if (God forbid!) I accidently ingest
something.

So, I'm going to pursue this further with a travel agent this evening.
If I do go (probably first few weeks of Aug), I will be bringing alot of
snacks, like nuts, peanut butter, rice cakes, cookies, muffins (to
eat the first few days, etc)

Thanks again for all those who responded, and thank you to those
who invited me on trips to other places!  If I make it through this
one by myself,  who knows where I'll go next........(not to mention
I'm terrified of flying, I will have to be moderately medicated to get
on the plane for this trip:)  However, if you want something bad

Jane
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Canada