From:
"KAREN A. MILLER" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 May 1998 15:29:21 -0400

I contacted Amero Foods Mfg. Comapny, in Laurel, MD, USA,  today to obtain
a copy of the ingredient list for thier Pastrystar #275 Flourless Cake Mix.
A fax was sent with the following list of ingredients--sugar, semi-sweet
chocolate, hazelnut flour, wheat starch, vegetable gum, baking powder, milk
powder and cocoa powder.

I returned a fax indicating that this was not a gluten-free product. The
owner, Ted Pari called in response to my fax. He is a food chemist with 35
years in the business and feels that wheat starch is gluten-free. I spoke
with him about recent research done with wheat starch and celiac patients
and that due to that research it has been determined that wheat starch is
not recommended for a gluten-free diet. He indicated they could make the
formula using cornstarch without changing the texture of the final product
if they had an order for at least 1100 pounds. I suggested that perhaps
they should consider using cornstarch for their standard formula rather
than wheat starch. I did not even pursue the type of vegetable gum, baking
powder or cocoa powder was used.