Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 09:12:53 -0800

Thank you to everyone who responded. Although I received many E-mails on
candy bars, I was trying to get a handle on the difference between cocoa
and 100% baking chocolate, and to find out, based on a prior post, if
all chocolate, even the baking chocolate which is labeled 100% chocolate
actually contained milk, as was alluded to in a prior post, which would
therefore include casein.

Since I didn't have a box of either cooking chocolate or cocoa in the
house, I was thinking that perhaps some of you knew the answer to this,
but my responses were all over the map, and seemed to be geared away
from the baking 100% chocolate.  Therefore, I went out and copied a
telephone number from a box of 100% baking chocolate, as I should have
done in the first place, and called Hershey for an explaination.
Hershey's phone number is 1-800-468-1714.  This is what the very
helpful, kind young lady told me.  Cocoa is from the cocoa bean with the
fat, liquid removed.  100% baking chocolate is made from cocoa and
processd with the liquer (not alcohol, but the liquid from the cocoa
bean), and cocoa butter which comes from the vegetable fat from the
bean.  Therefore, neither of these has casein, or milk in the
ingredients.

Candy bars are a whole other matter, so reading labels are important.

As for why my allergy test showed I was allergic to cocoa and not to
chocolate, all I can say is that there had to be an error.  Based on the
info received from the Hershy folks, it all comes from cocoa.

Candice in California