From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 10:39:16 -0800

This simple cornbread recipe has been passed down through several
generations in my husband's family.  It originated in Shreveport, Louisiana,
where cornbread is a staple.  Butter or any other oil may be substituted for
bacon grease, but the flavor will be different.  This is a rather flat,
coarse but moist cornbread less than an inch thick.  It is normally served
with butter, jam or honey spread on top.

1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons bacon grease (or butter)
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup buttermilk (or milk with one tablespoon vinegar added)

Mix dry ingredients.  Melt bacon grease in 9 inch round cake pan.  Tilt the
pan around to evenly coat the bottom.  Pour excess oil into dry ingredients.
  Stir in buttermilk & egg.  Pour into prepared cake pan & bake 30 minutes
at 350 degrees F.

Alternate method:  Melt bacon grease (or butter) in 10" cast iron skillet,
then pour the batter directly into the hot oil & skillet.  Baking time will
be reduced because the hot pan helps cook it faster.  15 minutes is usually
long enough depending on how hot the pan is.  This method is my favorite
because the cornbread develops a wonderful crust in an oiled cast iron
skillet.  I usually cook a slice of two of bacon, remove the bacon then pour
in the cornbread batter & complete baking it in the oven.  MMmmmmm....

Valerie in Tacoma