From:
Mireille Cote <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 08:07:49 -0500

I have waited to post you a resume as I didn't have a satisfactory
response.  Here are the responses I had:

   -I really thought they were all the same. Flour is ground from the Yucca
plant and the starch is made just like all starches are made. Like potato
flour and potato starch, they both are from a potato. I belive Cassava,
manico and tapioca are all the same yucaa plant.

Of course I could be wrong, it has happened before. =)

~Beth

 -Hi Mireille- check out that Brazillian website again.  The Brazilians
toast it, believe it or not, and serve it as a side dish with their
national dish, feiojada (spicy meat and black beans).  Or maybe they use a
more coarsely ground cassava.  Anyway, maybe there will be more recipes
there.

Btw, I made crepes this weekend for the first time in my life. I hadn't
printed the notes you posted last week yet, so used the recipe in one of
Bette Hagman's books, but substituted half tapioca flour, as in your
recipe, for half of the bean flour mix, which I find rather strong.  They
came out very well- a big hit. Thanks for bringing up the idea of crepes.

Mary in Ithaca, NY

So, still dont know what to make w/my Cassava Flour or Farinha de Mandioca
which is like an off white fine corn meal texture, not as tapioca starch at
all.

Mireille.