From:
Mary Gallahue <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2007 03:10:14 EDT

It's apple time and this is a good recipe if you want a change from
applesauce.  Start it about an hour before you expect to serve  dinner.

Mom's Skillet Apples

This is the basic recipe.  You can increase it by doubling or tripling  the
amounts.  The basic recipe yields about 4 servings.

1 1/2 pound of tart apples
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon of butter
1/2 tsp of cinnamon
1/8 tsp of allspice
1/16 tsp of nutmeg

Peel and core apples.  Slice them thinly.  You should have about  1 and 1/4
pounds when you are done.
Set a 10" skillet on medium and melt the butter.
Add the apples when you know the pan and butter (Tastes better than oleo,
etc. because they usually have more water than the recipe can handle.) are at
medium heat.  The apples will almost fill the pan.
Coat the apples with the butter and wait until the butter starts to sizzle
or bubble a bit.  Immediately turn the heat down to a low simmer.  (If  you
want more liquid (from the steam) in the final product, then cover the pan.  I
usually don't.)
Let the apples cook for about 10-15 minutes.  Then add all the spices  by
shaking them gently over the entire top of the apples.  Mix the spices  in.
Cook on the low simmer for about 45 minutes and stir occasionally.   The
apples will cook down to less than 1/2 inch covering the bottom of the  pan.  You
will still have small apple chunks, but they will be soft and  some of the
apples will be mushy/applesauce-like in appearance.

Serve warm.  The apples will keep in the frig for a few days, but  should be
reheated for serving.

If you are not familiar with allspice, you might want to try it.  It's  from
an evergreen (West Indies) of the myrtle and clove family.  Small  brown
berries are ground up and what emerges is a spice with a combination of  scents -
cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg.  You don't want any more nutmeg than  the
recommended amount because nutmeg can sometimes make dishes bitter.

I used Gravenstein apples from northern California that had  tree-ripened.
Oh my!  What flavor!  I'm drooling on the  keyboard!

Mary in California