From:
greenspot <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
greenspot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2011 07:45:32 -0500

Hi Listmates
Sorry this took awhile -we switched to the AT&T U-verse and it caused some
connecting problems.

>Forgive my being a bit crude (I know you will understand) but a good friend
 >has just been hospitalized for rectal bleeding. He has many symptoms of
>full
 >blown Celiac -stomach problems for years, brain fog, overweight and
 >malnourishied, joint pain. Has anyone had an episode like his and then
been
 >diagnosed?

1 The symptoms you described could be related to CD, gluten intolerance,
and/or and IgG-mediated allergic reaction to any food.
You might want to check out www.bettercontrolofhealth.com as they can
provide you a lot of information in this subject.

2 After reading this, I could only wonder at the fact that I had dealt with
those symptoms, and more, for a good part of my life. I wasn't diagnosed
until my mid 40's. But since I've gone on the diet (even with just the
gluten being gone), those symptoms have started to disapear. I've taken a
few more things out of my diet since, and found that my other disfunctions
are much more manageable.

3 Brain fog could also be bacterial overgrowth, or it can be in conjunction
with celiac disease.
I am a celiac with bacterial overgrowth. I've had brain fog, weight gain
(even when consuming few calories), constipation, malnourishment, and joint
pain just to list a few of the many, many symptoms I've had. So, if he gets
checked for celiac disease, and it is found that he doesn't have it, he
should get a hydrogen breath test to check for bacterial overgrowth. But the
two often go hand-in-hand.

4 Yes, I did/ I was.  Ultimately, the rectal bleeding was found to be from
taking a steady dose of anti-acids such as Zantac, and Nsaids for pain.
However, I was diagnosed with celiac disease shortly after.  (Not before I
was mis-diagnosed with terminal cancer for 6 months).

5 Only if the patient verbally abuses and threatens the doctor to test for
CD. Ten years ago when I was diagnosed I had to threaten a lawsuit.
Hopefully times have changed!

(Unless your friend is at one of the CD centers?)

I had 2 other FYI messages and  thanks to all who wrote back. Sometimes this
list seems like family.

Dennis