From:
JSTmagpie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Apr 1998 22:09:57 EDT

Happy Pesach!  After getting a bunch of posts on Friday evening I ran out in
an amazing rainstorm to buy a box of oat matzoh at the health food store, only
to be plagued with doubts when I got there. The doubts and the price tag
($18.95 for a 1 lb. box) conspired to lead me to the rice crackers (HOL GRAIN)
instead. Here"s a  sampling of the responses ( the jury is clearly still out
on oats...) Thanks to all for the responses.

.....in a moment of to-hell-with-it I ate Oatios breakfast
cereal made by New Morning and had no reaction. Actually
have eaten 3 times, still no reaction. I've read that the manufacturer
is half the battle -- the whole contamination thang. Apparently
New Morning is a GF factory, and was tickled pink to see our
health food store carry their cereal ...

...I have read alot about the oat question.  Most test affirm
that oats are ok.  I have eaten oats once or twice a week
since being diagnosed with celiac 18 months ago.  I have
also had a follow up biopsy and it showed complete healing
of the small intestine.  For me the oats are OK.  ..

...Lots of oats info at www.celiac.com   Click on "What's new", listed under
Noverber 1997 entry. Wonderful information by the experts...

...last year, I read on the net (the torah-forum mailing list) that
the UK Coeliac Society was involved with the production of the oat matza and
approved its use.  (Of course, they also approve the use of washed wheat
starch. :-)
(I should also point out, that I eat oats and passed my confirmation biopsy
having eaten oats daily.)....

 ....my nephew, who is allergic to wheat, has eaten oat matzoh with
apparently no ill effect.  His mother and I are having trouble making sense
of this, since I've been told that oats and oat products are almost
certainly gluten-contaminated.  We don't have additional information at
this time.....

....I have CD, and this year I've ordered spelt matzo from Monsey, NY.  It's
also baked in Brooklyn.  Oat matzos are also available in both places.,.

....I have been eating Oat matzoh with no ill effect. I also eat Quaker Oats
Oatmeal with no problem (I called them, and they said their oatmeal is made on
a separate line from the grain products....

judy in nyc