From:
Robin Hlavacek <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robin Hlavacek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 21:51:03 -0400

I received a total of 12 replies to my question about whether wasabi
sauce used with sushi is gf.

Was told that wasabi itself is a root, and therefore shouldn't
contain any gluten. I suppose that means that wasabi all by itself is
fine, but I've yet to find out a definitive answer as to whether we
can eat the green stuff served in Japanese restaurants. Several
people stated that they successfully use the powdered form of wasabi
without incurring any problems.

I was reminded that the common soy sauce contains wheat, as does the
fake kind of crab, sea legs, etc. Beware of anything that isn't
"real" seafood, as its probably not gf.

One person said she's not sure if its gf, but she has been eating it
without any problems.

Someone else said they use it in place of prepared horseradish and
buy  it at the supermarket in a tube.

Someone else said that her MD had a fit when he found out she was
eating sushi at all, for fear of the parasite problem.

Another respondent said they use 2 different kinds of wasabi: both
are powdered, one is the Hime brand that contains horseradish,
spirulina and turmeric. The other is Eden. Ingredients are
Horseradish, Japanese wasabi root and gardenia. This person said
there were too many other ingredients contained in the paste form, so
she avoids that.

And lastly, someone told me that Bread and Circus sells a wasabi
powder that seems to be GF, but  the company hasn't tested for the
presence of gluten. But this person also said she has been using the
product, is ultra sensitive to gluten, and hasn't had any problem
with it.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Hope this summary is helpful.

Robin