From:
"Susan K. DeVries" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jun 1998 23:08:27 -0400

I asked where to get milo or food grade sorghum.  Here are the responses.
The cracker recipe is at the end of this post.  It is from the Spring 1998
issue of Lifeline.  I have not tried the flour yet so I don't know
anything from experience with this food.

* I ordered Jowar flour from the Gluten Free Pantry at 1-800-291-8386, or
try www.jowar.com.

The address you asked for is:
JOWAR FOODS INC               Phone: 806-363-0970
113 Hickory Street            Fax:  806-364-1984
Hereford, TX 79045

* Jowar: A new name for an old gluten-free cereal. Grain sorghum (Sorghum
Bicolor L. Moench) is one of the four most important cereal grains that
feed mankind. Jowar is the name that has been given to food-type grain
sorghums that have been recently developed in the USA by major
universities such at Texas A&M.

Jowar possesses a hard white grain free from "off" flavors & colors.
Products made solely from Jowar by Jowar Foods, Inc. are wheat and
gluten-free.

Jowar Foods, Inc., produces EXCELLENT(!) products from sorghum grain,
including: pancake mixes, muffin mixes, brownie mixes, and much more. They
also sell whole grain sorghum flour which is perfect for making breads,
pastries, cookies, and batters for frying and deep frying. In fact, these
sorghum flours make the best batters for fried chicken, onion rings, etc.
that I've tasted! Give them a try! They have whole grain flour for: 2 lbs.
$2.12, l0 lbs. $7.85, 20 lbs. $l3.86, and 5o lbs $32.34 (plus shipping &
handling).  Shipping up to 5 lbs $4.75, 4l to 50 lbs for $l8.50, and
various charges for weights in between.

Jowar flour can be utilized for making ethnic foods such as Injera, Kisra,
Aseda, and Chapattis, and for the making of quick breads, pastries, pie
crusts, cakes, pancakes, etc., for those with wheat allergy or gluten
intolerance.

*  I ordered 10 lbs but it seemed a bit course.  Used it one time to try
and make some biscuits.  Made the dough up too dry and they turned into
hockey pucks!  Will keep trying.

* I love the Jo Crisps cereals.  The jowar has a different taste, but I
like it and so do my kids and their not GF!  I know I had to bring in all
this info as well as ordering blanks to my health food store, and now they
can keep it in stock!

Jowar is a welcome change also in regard to its fiber content--ranks right
up there with prunes.  Never had a problem with it, and the people have
been so helpful with questions and comments.

* I also found Jowar flour made me break out in big red spots.  Haven't
bought any more.  Too bad.  It was good and the cereal was excellent.

* We also sell it, if they can't sell in small quantities.  Jay Miss
Roben's [log in to unmask]

* If you have an Indian or Pakistani food store in your area, it probably
has the milo flour you are looking for.  But Indians call it "jowar" or
"juwar".  I also found it recently at an Oriental food store.

Sunflower-Soda Crackers -by Mary Schluckebier
                         Lifeline Spring 1998

3/4 C white rice flour
1/4 C milo flour (Jowar type sorghum flour)
1/4 C shelled sunflower seeds (plain or salted, if really salty reduce
      salt)
1/4 t salt
1/4 t baking soda
1/4 c butter, cold (margarine can be substituted, but will be less crispy)
1 C   small curd cottage cheese (use tofu for dairy free)
pinch of xanthan gum

In a food processor mix the rice flour, milo flour, sunflower seeds, salt
and soda until sunflower seeds are finely chopped.  Cut butter into
several pieces and add to the dry mixture. Add the small curd cottage
cheese.  Process until combined, but do not over process. The small bits
of butter and cottage create flaky layers during baking.  Roll into a log
shape and refrigerate for 30 minutes.  Divide dough into fourths.  Roll
into logs about 3/4 inches in diameter.  Slice off rounds about 3/8-inch
thick and place on a cookie sheet.  Using slightly wet hands, shape to
make flat rounds prick with a fork, top with some salt or other seasoning.
Bake 325 degrees F. for 15-20 minutes until lightly browned on the edges.
After all the crackers are baked turn of the oven and let them dry out
slowly for a half hour or so.  Cool.  Store in a tight container or
freeze.

Note:  For best results when substituting cottage cheese for tofu,
refrigerate no longer than 30 minutes before shaping and baking the
crackers.