From:
"Jackie R." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jackie R.
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 09:42:28 -0700

Our celiac daughter claims that shortly after she eats gluten, her
tongue often goes completely numb for several seconds, and then tingles
or itches.  She first experienced this reaction when she accidentally
got matzah flour in her mouth, so we are pretty sure it is associated
with gluten.  She is not allergic to any foods other than a delayed
allergy to casein in milk (according to results using IgE and IgG blood
tests).  Our daughter says she also sometimes gets a tongue reaction to
spicy foods, but it goes away when she drinks water.  Occasionally she
has gotten a tongue reaction when she eats a new food or a food she
hasn't eaten in a long time.  This reaction is slightly different to a
gluten tongue reaction in that her tongue goes numb and then gradually
regains feeling over time (no tingling or itching).  And, of course,
sometimes (rarely) she has what appears to be a gluten reaction without
a tongue reaction first.

Other more severe symptoms of a gluten reaction begin for her about 2
hours after ingestion.

Do any of you get a tongue or mouth reaction related to ingesting
gluten or any other substance?

I was never diagnosed with celiac and never had any symptoms or
ailments that I could attribute to celiac.  However, when our daughter
was diagnosed three years ago, I, too began following a 100% gluten
free diet as moral support.  Last night we were sharing what we thought
was GF Chinese food from a normally reliable family-owned restaurant,
when my tongue felt like it was buzzing.  It was a very odd and
distinctive sensation.  About 5 minutes later, our daughter said she
also felt the sensation in her mouth and today she is suffering a major
gluten reaction.  I am not having any particular symptoms, although
last night my head felt a little off - as if I might get a headache.