From:
Jane Oswaks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jane Oswaks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2007 15:23:29 -0700

After experimenting with this recipe, as printed in the NY Times, I
finally had success today!  I doubled all of the ingredients, but
left the water at 1 cup.  Additionally, I proofed the yeast in the
warm water with the sugar, then added it with the vinegar and olive
oil to the dry ingredients.  Perfection!!  Depending on how long you
make them, you'll get between a dozen (very long) to a dozen and a
half.  Here is the revised version.

Recipe: Risotteria's Gluten-Free Breadstick (Revised version)

1-1/4  teaspoon active dry yeast
1-1/2 cup organic brown rice flour
1 cup tapioca starch (see note)
2 tablespoon nonfat dry milk powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum (see note)
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon of dried herbes de Provence
1/2 teaspoon sugar
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
Nonstick spray or vegetable oil, for greasing baking sheet and
breadsticks
Fleur de sel or other flaky sea salt.

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a medium mixing bowl fitted with
standard beaters (not a dough hook), rice flour, tapioca starch, dry
milk powder, xanthan gum, gelatin powder, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt and
herbes de Provence. Mix on low speed to blend. Put yeast in 1 cup
warm water (105 to 110 degrees) and add sugar.  Let sit for a couple
of minutes.  Add to dry ingrediets with olive oil and vinegar.
Increase speed to high, and beat 6 minutes. (Dough will stay very
soft and should not pull off sides of bowl; if necessary, add water 1
tablespoon at a time until dough does not resist beaters.)
2. Liberally spray or oil a baking sheet, and set aside. Put dough
into a large pastry bag with a plain round 1/2 -inch tip, and pipe
12-18 breadsticks about 8 inches long, leaving about 2 inches in
between. Spray or brush tops of breadsticks liberally with oil, and
salt generously with fleur de sel.
3. Bake breadsticks 10 minutes, turn and spray or brush again with
oil. Continue to bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes more.
Serve warm.
Yield: 12-18 breadsticks.

Enjoy!
Jane