Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 12:26:11 -0500

My thanks to the many who responded to my SOS for support for my neighbor's
celiac daughter. Apologies to the listowner for not using CEL-KIDS list, but
I did not know of it. I'm the only person in my family with CD (that we know
of) and have not up to now needed info on juvenile CD.

SUMMARY

Medical:
1. There is an increase in symptoms at this age; this diminishes sometime in
adolescence.

2. There is also "a physical, causal relationship between 'active' celiac
disease and depression. So much serotonin is secreted into the gut that the
brain becomes deficient, causing the mood disorder."

3. Studies investigating the role of vitamin B6 deficiency (common in
celiacs) and decreased serotonin metabolism indicate the need for more
research.

Social:
1. Many respondents offered counseling and sharing of experience with the
child via e-mail. Will show these to her and perhaps she will find support in
the experience of peers in social situations.

2. Some people suggested that she be given GF treats to take along on outings
with friends. Others offered coping techniques, such as exhibiting a craving
for safe foods, such as french fries (not always safe!)

3. She should read "Against the Grain" by Jax Peters Lowell. Book is written
in a humorous vein and should appeal to young people.

4. Join a support group.

The young lady in question is excited about the many responses and I'm sure
will benefit greatly. Thanks again.
Phyllis