From:
Wojciech Bania <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 19:47:11 +0200

Hi Listmates,

Problem of gluten content in distilled vinegar comes back periodically on
Celiac List. As far all respondents with chemical connections stated that
there is no gluten in distilled vinegar just because it is distilled. They
assumed that:

> Because proteins and even short peptide segments cannot evaporate, they
> are removed with 100% efficiency in the distillation process... distilled
> vinegars and alcohols do not contain gluten.

But please remember that distillation is not 100% efficiency
process. When raw material vigorously boils in the distillation
boiler plenty of small (not distilled) droplets are suspended above
liquid phase. Certain number of them is pulled by stream of
vapours towards cooler where they are absorbed by just
condensed vapours-liquid phase. This is the mechanism of
contaminating distillate by non volatile substances (volatile
substances contaminate distillate in different way also).

There are some ways in construction of distillation boilers to
reduce this effect - usually mechanical eg. wire mesh traps clear
to vapours and collecting droplets.

Of course it doesn't mean that there is any gluten in distilled
vinegar. The aim of this post is only to explain that it might be
theoretically possible.

BTW I hate acetic acid for it's smell.

Hope it wasn't very boring especially my last statement.

                                                     Wojciech Bania

----------------- [ REKLAMA / ADVERTISEMENT ] -----------------
Szybka w sciaganiu, animowana, interaktywna, z muzyka i efektami
dzwiekowymi....
Zobacz jak moze wygladac strona WWW:  http://www.webdesign.pl/