From:
Mary Schnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 16:34:02 -0600

Thank you for your many responses (37) ... your opinions are much
appreciated!  They are summarized (and paraphrased) as follows:

1 - No, don't do it.  Low fat with exercise is the better way to be
healthy.

1 - Since we as celiacs have problems with metabolism, it would be good
to check with a nutritionist before undertaking this type of diet.
35 - It's great!  Some had been on low carb (avoiding processed carbs
like sugar, flours (gf), corn syrup, etc.) for long periods of time
(like more than a year) felt wonderful, and weighed what they wanted to.

Others seemed to use it to drop excess pounds as they crept on.  Just
about everyone said that low carb is pretty much a gf diet with the gf
flours (and of course sugar) removed.

Most of those in favour directed me to web-sites that outlined the
various 'flavours' of low-carb eating.  I was amazed to find much
documentation that was totally contrary to what I would have thought
about high blood pressure, diabetes, and cholesterol levels.  If you're
interested, send me an "e" and I'll share them with you.  I think I'll
give it a shot.

Again, thanks to y'all for your input.