Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 17:59:41 -0700

At 05:30 PM 7/28/1999 -0400, Julie Benzinger wrote:

>The responses were comforting and many of you expressed the same worry
>about intestinal lymphoma.
>
>-4 people said not to be too concerned about it but be sure to stay gf.
>-1 person said to have a colonoscopy done every 5 years.
>-1 person said to have an endoscopy done every 1-2 years.
>-2 people said to have a CT scan or barium xray or small bowel series
>      xray.
>
>I haven't figured out what, if anything, I will do.  The responses
>helped me to feel less alone and less worried!!!  Thanks very much to
>everyone who responded.

Julie, it looks like there is about a 3% chance of developing lymphoma in
the later stages of the disease: that implies that the 3% risk is for those
who do not treat or take care of their celiac. The website listed below has
a lot of interesting information and connections with other diseases for
celiacs -- sometime when you feel like spending some time deciphering what
it means. This site is for those who can feel comfortable reading things
they do not understand much of, or for those who read it with medical
encyclopedia in hand, and who still will not understand a lot, unless they
are expert at statistics and how very objective control group studies are
done. It is the largest study done in the US, at the veterans hospital with
millions of patients. -vance

From:http://csaceliacs.org/CeliacSprueamong.htm

We confirmed the increased risk of developing malignant lymphoma found in
other populations. Lymphoma occurred in 3% of our case population. Higher
prevalence rates of lymphoma were reported by previous studies. However,
the diagnosis was frequently established by postmortem examination, and the
enrollment of patients into the study was biased towards patients with
lymphoma. Lymphoma is commonly underdiagnosed during life, because symptoms
of therapy resistant celiac sprue can mask those of lymphoma. Superficial
lymphadenopathy was found at initial presentation in 41% of the celiac
patients with lymphoma, the lymphadenopathy itself tended to appear rather
late in the course of the disease. However, no data exists about the
predictive value of peripheral lymphadenopathy with respect to the
development of malignant lymphoma.