From:
Christina Kuhne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 06:18:06 +1000

Thanks for all the input to my query, I will try to keep this summary
brief as I am sure like me most are very busy and long summaries can
take up a lot of time.Seems that peanut butter is something we have to
check, most of the replies I received were irrelevant to me as I forgot
to mention I live in Australia but it did give me the information I
needed to go to the local supermarket and check ingredients on the
labels of the local peanut butters.  Also it seems from a lot of the
replies some have no trouble with certain brands and others do, so this
has led me to conceive that it must be a personal choice and we must see
what affects us and eliminate that from our diet.  There were several
that suggested buying my own peanuts and making my own peanut butter
this is something to consider, but more work, I already bake my own
bread, cakes and biscuits.

Below is a few of the response I thought you may be interested in.

Christina:-)

SUMMARY........

Peter Pan is gluten free but does have a derivative of Rapp Seed and
some are sensitive to this. .......find a natural peanut butter that you
like, it will be GF.

Roasted peanuts themselves don't contain wheat, but some packaged peanut
products do have additional ingredients which might contain wheat or
other gluten grains.

Jif Peanut Butter has always been on the various GF lists I've seen
Whole Foods' 365 Brand Peanut Butter is listed on their website as GF.
Krema has nothing but peanuts, not even salt added.

..... it's the icing sugar (which may contain wheat) in
peanut butter that we have to worry about.

....Skippy peanut butter is GF (it says so on their web
site).   - regular and crunchy.

Some peanut butter has gluten; some has none. Adams is safest: nothing
but peanuts.

.Kroger brand lists just peanuts and peanut oil.

Certain peanut butters do contain gluten....... check ingredients with
manufacturers. ........ some peanut butter manufacturers squeeze out the
peanut oil..... replace it with other, less expensive oils.

 Adam's peanut butter. .......  Nothing but peanuts.

 Arrowhead  .......and Almond butter

... some dry roasted nuts may have wheat, but peanuts and other nuts
roasted in oil are gf as is most, maybe all, peanut butter..... Adams
Old Fashioned which is just peanuts and salt and they even have a salt
free variety..........Skippy and Jiff have added oils and sugars which
are not so good for us.......... go to a good hfs and grind your own in
their nut grinder to make your own any kind of nut butters.

Try substitutes such as almond butter or tahini. Both are available in
the health food store and they are very, very good.

Smucker's All Natural Peanut Butter is GF.

 ......buy the Peanut Butter that is natural. Peanuts
and salt or just peanuts. get used to stirring it to mix in the oil.