From:
Tania Lyon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 22:10:00 EST

I am looking for some help regarding the dietary treatment of bipolar.  My
son is five years old and has a bipolar diagnosis.   Celiac runs in the
family and at age four, we put our son on a gfcf diet with excellent results.
 He summarized the results best when he said, "My brain is thinking better
without wheat."  This statement was made 26 hours after he went gf, and by
our observations, it was the truth.  He also is on vitamin supplements that
have helped him a lot; we are grateful he is doing quite well right now on a
combination of diet, vitamins, and medication.

Ultimately, though, we would like to get rid of the medication piece that
keeps him stable.  When I ordered his last vitamins from Kirkman Labs, I
explained my son's situation.  The woman said there was a Dr. Bill Walsh from
the Pfeifer Center in Chicago who was having fantastic results treating
bipolar kids with dietary intervention.  I certainly would like to know more
and will call Kirkman Labs back on Monday now that I have thought about this.
 If anyone has any information on the Pfeifer Center or Dr. Walsh's work, I
would be very interested in hearing more!

Thanks in advance!  I will summarize.

Tania
Mankato, Minnesota