Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 1996 16:54:10 -0400

Today I started my lactose free, gluten free diet.  So far, so good.  I went
to see a dietitian on Tuesday as a referral from my GI doctor.  Sadly, I
knew more than the dietitian as to what might contain gluten and what might
not.  Thank you to everyone who so generously gives their time in responding
to my many questions.  And thank you to those who manage the listserv as
well!

Okay.  So, I called the Oscar Mayer company to inquire about their bacon.
Their 8 oz. package of regular bacon is gf.  In addition, they are sending
me a list of their products that are gf.   Yaay!   I will post this list to
the group as soon as I get it.

I'm still waiting on the list from Frito Lay.  I made a 2nd call there today
after I got a question from someone as to the type of vinegar that Frito Lay
uses in their products.  I was assured that they use a corn alcohol based
vinegar in all their products.  The consumer rep stated that the list will
have the products listed and if there is an * next to the product, it might
contain gluten.  For instance, the plain chips might not have gluten but the
flavored chips might.  She says its indicated so that we don't assume that
ALL chips of that variety are gf.

Planters Company - I called in regards to their jugs of mixed nuts.  I was
fairly certain by the ingredient list that there was no gluten in it, but I
wanted to make sure.  (There is no gluten in this product).  They do have a
list of products that are gluten free, but unfortunately, they are out of
lists to send out.  It is published once a year, and the next list won't be
put out until Jan.  1997 or so.  They did put me on the waiting list for a
current gf booklet.  (their number is 1-800-541-1222)

And lastly, Kellogg's.  I went to the grocery store this morning in search
of their 2 cereals that are gf.  In everything that I've read, and in the
pamphlets I got at the dietitian's office, it says that Kellogg's Rice
Krispies and Corn Flakes are gf.  NOT SO, according to Kellogg's today!
Apparently, both of those products now contain gluten!  I had decided to
call because I saw malt flavoring in the ingredients of both products.
Apparently, Kellogg's has Puffed Rice and Corn Pops that are now gf.  The
consumer rep told me that Kellogg's Puffed Rice is generally only sold to
hospitals and institutions.  So, I guess it's Corn Pops for me for
breakfast.  :)

That's all for now.  Will post more info as I receive it.   Thanks to
everyone who has given me so many gf suggestions!

Deb Bosley