Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 14:50:46 +0000

I have been recently attending diabetes ed classes- conducted by a local
hospital- Certified Diabetes Educator RN & a Registered Dietician. We
covered both of these topics yesterday.

Ilya wrote:  150 gm carbs per day is not really low carb, but it's an
improvement.  I wonder how much you were eating before.  I am low
carbing now and my daily carbs add up to just about 10gm.

Ilya

I am not familiar w/ the numbers for the Adkins low-carb diet regimin.
My book from the class lists "Nutritional Goals & Recommendations for
people with diabetes" (a strict diet!)
Least amount:

1200 calories per day allows 150-180 grams of Carbohydrates per day
(50-60%)
2000 calorie per day diet allows 250-300 grams of carbs per day.

I don't know how a person could possibly maintain a 10gm carbs per day
diet.

My book has a few pages of examples of what a 15 gram of carbohydrate
serving is:

1 cup skim milk
1   6 inch tortilla
1/2 cup corn
1 small potato
1/2 cup pasta
1/3 cup rice (white or brown)
3 cups popped popcorn
2 rice cakes
1 small apple
1/2 small banana
2 tbsp raisins
1 cup lite yogurt
1/2 cup apple juice
12 cherries
1 tbsp fruit spread
1/2 cup spaghetti sauce
1 cup bean soup

All carbs are turned into sugar in your system- be they quality foods-
such as rice & fruits or junk foods like greasy chips. Obviously the
quality foods will provide valuable nutrients for your system & be heart
healthy.

Gayle Kennedy wrote: Hydrogenated vegetable oil is terrible for you -
increases cholesterol -yet that is a main ingredient in margerine.
So to return to my original point - perhaps cutting out the carbs is a
great idea, and for me, the carbs in rice are non-fattening.  How do the
rest of you react?
<snip>

We were discussing this topic with the Dietician. Her response: They are
both bad for you. The hydrogenated oils=trans-fatty acids which are
artery cloggers as well.

Butter
100 Calories per 1 tbsp
100 calories from fat (100% fat)
30 mg cholesterol
0 carbs

Margarine (country crock)
60 Calories per 1 tbsp
60 calories from fat
0 cholesterol
0 carbs

Her suggestion: Choose the one you will use the least amount of.

Although rice is a wonderful staple it not void of calories or
carbohydrates. If you eat more than you burn up it will cause you to
gain weight. Facing the necessity to watch carbs due to diabetes &
maintain the celiac diet, I am greatly lamenting this nutritional fact.
Also having to accept that it is a nutritional fact.

Fran