From:
Diane Donald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 14:27:23 -0500

Wow, did I get the email on this one!!  A heartfelt thanks to all who
responded. I was beginning to think it was the CFIDS all over again and
that maybe I wasn't ever going to get better.  I'm improving, but not over
this thing yet.

The respondents were in total agreement that this is indeed a gluten
reaction.  Some though it also could be another food allergy.  As far as
how long a reaction would last, that brought a variety of responses from a
day to a couple of months.  I guess it depends on several things, i.e., how
much was ingested, how sensitive one is, other general health, age, how
long one has been gf, etc, etc.  As I said I am still not over it.  The
fatigue is not as severe, but the headaches, other allergic
still with me.

Thanks to all who gave me ideas on how to get through this.  Needless to
say, I will not be using the Hazelnut flavored Coffeemate liquid
again.  With all of the alternatives, I will probably not use any
Coffeemate again.

A sample of some of the responses follows:

1. I phoned Nestle about their Fat Free Creamer because I wanted to put it
on my sons cream of rice (he is a biopsy proven celiac)  By phone they told
me it was gf...but a couple of days later my son had terrible gas and
diarrhea that lasted seven days!!  I knew it had to be the creamer and
phoned them back...this time they told me it was not gf!!!!  Since then, I
refuse to use any of their creamers for my son. ............He has
accidentally gotten gluten two times since diagnosed 2/99...both times he
is sick for about a week.  No energy, bloated, gassy and liquid
diarrhea!  Sounds like you are pretty sensitive too.

2. I have problems with all of the liquid nondairy creamers. The powders
don't seem to do the same thing.

3. Don't worry - your symptoms sound much like mine when I accidentally
ingest gluten...

4. The symptoms tend to go away faster if you go to an "ultra  clean" diet
(just made that up) brown rice, raisins, bananas, apples & apple
juice.........I find my allergies act up, too. I'll be ultra sensitive to
perfumes, paint fumes and other things that I would otherwise be able to
tolerate. (A note from Diane....I found this to be true.)

5. .....do not eat a lot of fatty, sugary foods for a while, more like high
quality vegetables and soups, lite diet for a few days to cleanse....Been
there, done that....

6. .....if you ingest even the tiniest amount of gluten now that you have
removed the major gluten from your diet.  It is almost as if your body
reacts to protect itself from ever making THAT mistake again.

7.  This is typical of gluten reaction. I used to sleep 20 hours a day....I
took AlkaSeltzer Gold to partly neutralize the reaction... also lots of
distilled water.

8. All the symptoms you have are from gluten ingestion.  It really pays to
watch what you eat.  (Amen to that!)

9. It is best at first to keep your meals bland if you are having
difficulty and if necessary keep close of a brat diet. Your symptoms are
normal for just getting on the diet and are typical for going off of it.

10. Don't take anything for diarrhea  until you know the bad food is gone

11. Your best bet is to drink as much water as you can to flush it out
of your system..

12. I'd say all your symptoms are gluten reactions....how long symptoms
last and which ones you get varies  from person to person and from time to
time......every reaction is unpredictable...

13. I have the same symptoms you mentioned...