Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 16:45:30 -0400

Thanks to everyone for your great chocolate suggestions!!

On a visit to Trader Joe's, I recently purchased TERRA NOSTRA dark chocolate bars - quite tasty, however, I have not called about gf status.  It's made in Canada and says it may contain milk traces.

From all of you:

Many responses stated that most dark  and some semi-sweet chocolate do not contain any dairy.  NOW brand chips were suggested for baking (not as sweet as reg. choc chips).

Online, CHOCOLATE EMPORIUM and CHOCOLATE DECADENCE had lots of interesting choices.

ELITE (made in Israel - gluten, dairy & soy free)

Any quality dark chocolate will be lactose/dairy free.
Also, "Tropical Source" advertises its chocolates as
being dairy-free.

http://www.nspiredfoods.com/tropicalsrc.html

Paul Newman makes some bars, I get them from a Health Food Store and our
local Publix's that have Health Food Sections.  Not all the bars and candies
are dairy free, I get the orange.

Either check the ingredients, or look for chocolate the is Parve.  This is a kosher designation for food that does not have meat or milk products in them.

One of the best in Scharfenberger Chocolates.  They are in Whole Foods markets.  Be careful, because not all Dark Chocolate is milk free.  Any natural food store will have some Dark Chocolate without milk.

Either check the ingredients, or look for chocolate the is Parve.  This is a kosher designation for food that does not have meat or milk products in them.

One of the best in Scharfenberger Chocolates.  They are in Whole Foods markets.  Be careful, because not all Dark Chocolate is milk free.  Any natural food store will have some Dark Chocolate without milk.

Either check the ingredients, or look for chocolate the is Parve.  This is a kosher designation for food that does not have meat or milk products in them.

One of the best isScharfenberger Chocolates.  They are in Whole Foods markets.  Be careful, because not all Dark Chocolate is milk free.  Any natural food store will have some Dark Chocolate without milk.

My favorite gf, lactose-free chocolate treat is After Eights, a chocolate-covered thin mint wafer that I and a vegan friend at work both shared.

Many thanks, Peggy in NH