From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 13:16:27 -0700

My original post told about my documented experience with gluten ingestion
(in Lawry's Seasoned Salt) adversely effecting my thyroid function.  And
that I believe my severely scarred thyroid gland was fried by a
gluten-triggered autoimmune reaction for decades before my diagnosis.  This
was not to imply that ALL thyroid problems are caused by gluten sensitivity
or that the GF diet will reverse ALL thyroid problems.

There are lots of other things that can damage the thyroid gland as it's a
particularly sensitive gland.  To name just a few:  flouride & chloride in
our food & water supply, various other environmental toxins, dietary
deficiencies (iodine, selenium & other trace minerals), infections, cancer,
industrial chemical exposure, radioactive exposure, as well as non-gluten
related autoimmune diseases, etc.  In fact, thyroid disease is THE most
common endocrine disease worldwide.  Even with iodized salt being readily
available to third world countries, thyroid goiter remains a very common &
widespread disease.  It's sad, but true that I've even met an American child
with a walnut size thyroid goiter.

Valerie in Tacoma