From:
larson sharon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 May 1996 17:05:59 -0500

A nice article was written in the Kansas City Star in March which also
included recipes by Margaret Lee.  I have especially enjoyed her bread
recipe--the best I have eaten.  It is lighter and more like gluten
bread.

Makes 1 medium loaf

3 large eggs
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil (or canola)
1 1/2 cups water
2 cups white rice flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 Tablespoon xanthan gum
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 Tablespoon egg replacer (optional--I didn't)
2/3 cup dry milk
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

Combine eggs, vinegar, oil and water; pour carefully into baking pan of
electric breadmaker.  In mixing bowl, combine rice flour, potato starch,
tapioca flour, cornstarch, xanthan gum, sugar, salt, optional egg
replacer, dry milk and yeast; mix well.  Add dry ingredients to baking
pan.  Carefully seat pan in breadmaker.  Select normal/white cycle; start
machine.  (For machines with "bake only" cycle--such as Red Star which is
what I use--select "dough" cycle for mixing, then stop, then "bake only"
to finish bread.)  After mixing begins, help scrape any unmixed
ingredients into the dough with a rubber spatula.  Stay at edges and top
of batter so as not to interfere with the paddle.  When bake cycle is
complete, remove pan from machine.  Invert pan and shake gently to remove
bread.  Cool upright on rack before slicing.  *Note:  Use potato
starch--not potato flour.  All ingredients except yeast, which may be
cold, should be at room temperature.  Humidity and other factors can
affect dough consistency, which should be stiffer than cake batter but
not as stiff as cookie dough.  If dough appears too dry, add liquid,
one tablespoon at a time, to achieve consistency that allows machine to
mix by itself. I personally have not had to adjust the recipe--midwest,
Kansas/Missouri area.  (This recipe was adapted from a recipe of Red Star
Yeast & Products.)
Enjoy - Sharon in Kansas