From:
Pat McLean <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pat McLean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 01:41:20 -0500

I received several replies and DQ1 seems to be the third gene, and possibly
DQ3 and/or others as a forth one. Not as clear is whether this is a gene
for gluten sensitivity or intolerance only, or can also lead to celiac
disease. It does seem to have GI type symptoms for some and/or neurological
problems as well. For more info on the latter see the Dr. M.
Hadjivassiliou  reference listed below. Some of those who replied feel that
gluten intolerance or sensitivity is a larger group with celiac disease as
a sub group.  Unfortunately many who have symptoms but do not meet the gold
standard for a CD diagnosis may be told that they do not need to follow a
GF diet, to their detriment. E-mail [log in to unmask] if you would like
more info from one layperson on this approach or see references below from
Ma
ry. Another interesting comment was "Blood test results for DQ1 often
vary from the typical Celiac blood test results in that a high Antigliadin
Antibody IgG may be the only blood test/biopsy that comes up positive."
Since I have two copies of DQ1, I had looked into IgG mediated gluten
sensitivity before and my delayed reaction to accidentally ingesting gluten
seems to fit this type of reaction perfectly. I usually don't react until 3
or 4 days later although I may have minor symptoms before then.(I did test
negative for wheat on IgE testing.)

Recommendations, thanks to Mary, for further information were:
http://jnnp.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/72/5/560  Dr.M. Hadjivassiliou
article on Gluten Sensitivity as a Neurological Illness
http://neuro-mancer.mgh.harvard.edu/ubb/Forum73/HTML/004998.html  Brain
Talk- Contains abstracts on multiple articles and research papers on
neu
ropathy & gluten.
http://neuro-mancer.mgh.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi?
action=intro&BypassCookie=true&category=2 Brain Talk discussion boards on
various diseases.  The ones below were interesting discussions on
neuropathy
http://neuro-mancer.mgh.harvard.edu/ubb/Forum141/HTML/000716.htmlBrain Talk
discussion
http://neuro-mancer.mgh.harvard.edu/ubb/Forum262/HTML/000206.html Brain
Talk discussion
http://neuro-mancer.mgh.harvard.edu/ubb/Forum262/HTML/000114.html Brain
Talk discussion
http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/doc/news0302%20latov%20article.pdf  Latov-
 Vitamins & neuropathy
http://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=873&p_catid=&sid=91hH9H0-
9CVH7KR-33104570950.c7 diet & gluten ataxia

Other recommended sites were:
http://www.delphiforums.com/ info on CD forum is under "Health and Wellnes
s"
http://www.glutenfreedom.net/ Danna Korn's web site
http://www.enterolab.com/What_Happens/ scroll down to genetic testing, Dr.
Fine is the only one I could verify that does test for DQ1.
The book Dangerous Grains by James Braly, M.D. and Ron Hoggan, M.A.

Many thanks for all the responses, they have been very helpful and are most
appreciated.

Pat