From:
Misty Price <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2014 11:42:06 -0400

I have just spent 27 days in this hospital, associated with UC San Diego
and the Moore's Cancer Center.  The food is, to say the least,
mediocre.  But more importantly, they are totally incapable of providing
reliably gluten free food.  I spoke personally with 4 separate
dieticians, and still, on the 25th day of my stay there, my tray arrived
with a lovely whole wheat roll and a serving of orzo!   This despite the
menu on my trays always having the highlighted comment "gluten free,
supervisor checked".  Either the staff there has no idea what gluten is,
there is no supervision of the people serving the plates, the entire
staff is incompetent or they are all doing drugs.  If they cannot even
get whole foods right, you know they are paying no attention to
ingredients.

So, since you cannot trust the food, here is my suggestion:  do not eat
the prepared food at Thornton.  Eat the Cozy Shack puddings, the fruit
cocktail and diced fruit cups, the bananas, peanut butter, cheese
sticks, milk, Italian ice cups, etc.  Have a friend or family member
bring your other food into the hospital.  Trust nothing prepared!  There
are many wonderful restaurants in San Diego that do gluten free very
well.  But the hospital food service is either clueless or incompetent
(I guess it's the same thing.)

That being said, the nursing care is absolutely top notch, and they
provide cutting edge treatments that are unavailable elsewhere.

5 years ago I was in this same hospital for 2.5 weeks.  Not only was the
food good then, they were on top of the gluten free issue.  Obviously
that food contractor lost the contract.  I was forewarned by another
patient about this issue.  She didn't have celiac issues, she simply
said "They send the inappropriate foods", so the problem is dietarty
services, in general.  If you are using this hospital for your care, be
very careful of the food.

Misty in CA