From:
Sharon Marcus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 18:14:09 +0300

Dear list,

This time I have a recipe idea. I couldn't find any prior submission
of a recipe for self-rising flour and since I happened to have come
on to it myself (my own experimentation), I thought I'd share some
good news.

I used this as a base for a Cream Cake, so I will give the cream cake
recipe, too.
Enjoy!

Sharon Marcus

Sara A.'s CREAM CAKE:
Dough base:
200 gr. (7 oz) margarine, just melted
350 gr (2 1/2 cups) GF flour mix*
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
Melt marg. and mix with rest of ingredients. Put 2/3 of this in a
rectangular pan and bake on medium heat (350-375 degrees) for maybe
15 minutes, until it's a little firm to the touch. Let it cool.
Take the rest of the mixture and put it in a sauce pan. "Cook" it as
is (don't add a thing!), stirring constantly, until it starts to dry
out. Break it up into crumb-size pieces and keep it on the heat,
"cooking" it until the crumbs keep drying out and turn light brown.

Cream layer:
200 gr. (7 oz) butter, just melted
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
3 1/2 TBSP. vanilla sugar
Mix all ingredients with electric mixer until thick and creamy.
Add to this:
600 ml (about 2 1/3 c.) sour cream or plain yogurt with fat content
of at least 5%. Pour over cooled base.
Sprinkle crumbs over the cream layer and refrigerate several hours until set.

* GF Flour mix: (I make this in bulk. For this recipe, take only what
you need and then add *** to make it "self-rising.")
1 c. brown rice flour
1 c. white rice flour
2/3 c. tapioca flour
1/3 c. cornflour or corn starch
3/4 c. sweet rice flour
1/4 c. potato starch flour
2 tsp. xanthan gum

*** To get this to be self rising, add 2 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp.
more xanthan gum  and 1/4 tsp. salt to the flour mixture.