Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2006 13:19:26 EDT

Following is a summary of replies for restaurants in W. LA areas.   Thanks
much for your help.

Versailles in Culver City is one of my favorite places. No GF menu,
but  Cuban food is easy - roasted meat, citrus juice marinades, rice
and beans,  fried plantain (bananas). Just skip the bread they put on
the table (you  won't need it anyway). If you like garlic, try the
yucca (a starchy root  vegetable) boiled and served with garlic
butter. Lunch is better than dinner  - no reservations taken, and they
fill up fast Friday and Saturday  nights.

(Note:  We ate at Versailles and enjoyed the experience, but...one  word of
caution:  I ordered a fish dish with a fruit juice marinade.   I asked if it
contained flour and was told 'no', which is what I expected.   But after a few
bites, I noticed a thin coating on the fish and asked about  it.  The waiter
then told me it was coated with flour before grilling so  the fish would not
stick to the grill.  I received a substitute  dish.)

Junior's Deli in Westwood is expensive, but the menu is expansive,
and the staff is accommodating. It's possible to eat there without
too  much hassle.

Co-op Market in Santa Monica on Broadway has a nice deli for  picnics,
and a good knowledge of the GF scene.

If you manage to get  as far east as Farmer's Market (The Grove),
Erewhon market on 3rd has the  largest GF selection in Los Angeles,
bar none, and a decent take-out  selection.

There are so many places in Westwood where we can eat.  They do not
necessarily have GF menu meals but serve meals that are naturally GF or they  will
accommodate.  My most favorits are Sharazad on Westwood Blvd (the lamb  chops are
to die for), Soleil on Westwood Blvd (I'll be eating there Sat. night
myself), Napa Valley in Westwood Village (quite pricey), and a great Indian
Restaurant on Westwood Blvd South of Wilshire whose name escapes me at the  moment.

Palomino Grill in Westwood

(Note:  We planned to eat here but were not able to go on the night we  had
planned.)

Fav Mexican is The Talpa, Go to In and out burger and order your burger
protein style ( on secret menu), Thai Dishes ( lots of locations) is very
accommodating if you want Thai, Best Whole Foods GF selection is the one in
Westwood. I think that the farmers market in Westwood is on Fridays. Traders  Joes has
great takeout salads -- and I love the tamales in the refrigerator  case.
Urth on Main is SM has some great salads.
Go to Chowhound.com and see what people are posting about the area- people
in LA are very fussy about what they eat and restaurants are very used to
dealing with it- though some more successfully than others.