From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 2004 10:15:27 -0800

I was one of the contributors to the summary posted by "snowfeet".  I think
it was a very well done summary.  I have been told by a reputable source,
there ARE side effects to using red yeast extract to lower cholesterol.  Our
naturopathic physician told my husband and I that the cholesterol-lowering
active ingredient in red yeast extract is the SAME active ingredient found
in Lipitor.  She said she has actually had patients get muscle pain from
taking high doses of red yeast extract. . . .  Sooo her plan for my husband
with his high blood lipids is to put him on the South Beach Diet, fish oil,
low dose of red yeast extract & BioLipitrol, a blend of various nutrients
known to enhance lipid metabolism.  We are hoping that this regimen will
bring down his blood lipids without side effects.   We should know by
February if our doctor's recommendations will work for him.  He has a
serious metabolic condition known as familial hypercholesterolemia.  If her
regime works for him, it should be able to work for ANYONE!

The South Beach diet is mostly gluten free, so I'm able to enjoy most of
this diet along with my husband.  The thrust of the diet is to cut WAY back
on high glycemic carbohydrates such as starches & sugars, use olive oil as
the main fat.  This diet is different from Atkins in that it is lower in
animal fats & very, very high in vegetable carbohydrates & olive oil.

Valerie in Tacoma