Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 2011 23:55:19 -0600

A friend was just diagnosed with celiac disease and also has multiple allergies. I wanted some suggestions of prepared gf items that may meet his needs. I plan on making bread that will be ok for him until he does food challenges to verify that he is actually allergic to these items (but he is pretty sick and needs to heal some before he does that).

Besides gluten he is allergic to dairy, chocolate, sorghum, millet, amaranth, tapioca, sesame, buckwheat, quinoa and coffee. He also cannot tolerate spicy foods. I suspect he is allergic to other foods, so this will be an ongoing experiment.

He has been doing simple cooking of vegetables but he has apparently been living on things like turkey deli (from Whole Foods) sandwiches and he does like his sweets (and is VERY unhappy about the chocolate!!). He is very nervous about the fact that it will not be so easy to just pick up food when he is doing errands and he is an inexperienced cook. He is looking for crackers, sweets, deli (which is very plain & preferably organic).

So far I have found that the rice crispy type bars at Trader Joe's fit his criteria but have not had time to check other items. We did go through his cabinets and everything in the house is now gf and free of his other allergens. But he basically has ketchup (Heinz), mustard (French's), mayo (Hellman's), tuna and salmon.

Thank you,
Betsey
Baltimore, MD USA