From:
Chuck Bolz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 1997 12:08:35 -0800

Yes!  The commercially-available GF breads are usually cater to
multiple intolerances - gluten-free, egg-free, yeast-free,
taste-free...  And kneading GF bread by hand is a royal pain.

I got a Welbilt ABM-4800 at Sears a few months ago for $99, and use
it twice a week.  The Welbilt came with detailed instructions on
GF bread baking, and several recipes.  I've heard I could have got
the machine cheaper elsewhere.

It takes me about 20 minutes preparation and cleanup, and the rest
is almost automatic.  And the bread is almost like what your
mother used to make.  PROVIDED that you follow directions.

Mix the flours thoroughly with a wisp and spoon - if you don't
have the patience, buy commercial GF flour.  Make sure the
ingredients are 75-80 degrees F before putting them in the
machine.  I keep my house at 68, so microwave the dry ingredients
for a minute.  And use reasonably fresh ingredients.

You will lose an occasional loaf while you're learning.  But I
guarantee you'll like the outcome.

Most people start experimenting after while to develop their own
GF flour mixes.  My favorite so far is 3 parts white rice flour,
3 parts brown rice flour, and 1 part tapioca flour.

Good luck!

Chuck Bolz
Beaverton, OR