Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 18:09:55 -0700

        Recently Beckee asked about a GF restaurant in Scottsdale, AZ.

        Ahhhh-Maybe I'm playing on "semantics"  here, but is there a REAL
"GF" restaurant ANYWHERE in the world? After 3 years of being a diagnosed
Celiac,  I've found that a  REAL GF restaurant is  my dream....then, I wake
up to the reality ...There is NO "GF" restaurant nor will ever be (unless
one of us, listmates, decides to go into a non-lucritive business)
anywhere!  Being one who loves to travel, I refuse to let this stop me.
        The trick, I've found,  is to find ways to circumvent the
problem.... then we Celiacs can eat ... Anywhere!  (Overall, I mean more
"upscale" restaurants.  Fast foods & Denny's type restaurants are not what
I'm talking about...though these tactics can work there, too.) Here are
some sugggestions:
        1) Be educated enough about the disease as to know what you can and
can't eat.  Thanks to this list, this is pretty easy!!!
        2) Call the restaurant you are considering ahead (at a non-busy
time) and ask for the chef or food manager.  Explain your limitations.  He
/she is the one best qualified to answer questions regarding ingredients.
I have always found them most helpful and sympathetic....even willing to
substitute or cook up something special. (Cool!)
        3)  Try to go to the restaurant at a non-peak time, when the chef
and servor can accomodate these requests with more time and  less stress.
        4) Bring along a blank note card (preferably with your NAME
embossed or printed on it).  At the end of the meal, write  a  brief hand
written  "thank you" and send it in to the chef (or mail it soon
afterwards).   The chef will feel acknowledged for the extra effort and
will (hopefully) remember your name for next time (if you return).
        5)  If you find yourself in a restaurant without the opportunity to
call ahead.....then still ask the necessary questions...then sitback,
relax, and be ready to enjoy your dinner conversation (since it may take a
bit longer).   (Besides, in today's hustle-bustle world, a little extra
relaxing time is nice!)
        6) If you are going to a Chinese restaurant, bring a bottle of your
own GF soy sauce along and ask them to prepare your meal with a corn starch
thickened white sauce.  Then, you can add your own soy sauce at the table.
        Now, grant it, these tips  don't work ALL of the time...and some
menus are more "challenging" to work with than others, but with a little
pre-planning (I have found) most restaurants will bend over backwards for
us.  I've never come across a restaurant where there was nothing I could
eat.  Even Italian restaurants are very accomodating it you call ahead and
talk to the chef or the owner.  Also, doing all the preliminary footwork
minimizes the annoyance (and possible embarrassment) of cross-examining the
servor in front of others you are dining with.
        Sooooo,  to summarize.....the  BAD NEWS is :(  - There are NO "GF"
restaurants (ANYWHERE)....as far as I know!  The GOOD NEWS is :)   - we
Celiacs can eat ANYWHERE, as long as we do a little preliminary  footwork.
Please, don't misinterpret this post to be sarcastic or condescending.  I
just want to express my views, especially to the newly diagnosed
listmembers ( ' been there  & cried my eyes out, too), that our condition
(though challenging) doesn't need to deny us of the joys of life!!!
        To answer Beckee's question regarding a good restaurant in
Scottsdale, there are many!  Give me a call when you get to Phoenix and I
would love to share the names of some of my favorites.
        Thank you for listening (ooops- reading) this lengthy post.

Nina  :)
Phoenix, AZ