From:
Nancy Marino <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Marino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2007 12:07:11 -0400

Thanks to everyone for your quick response about
restaurants in Rome.   My mother is traveling
on Wednesday so she was thrilled to get all this great information. Here’s the
summary of responses:

Melanie, who has a blog www.wayoftheceliactraveler.blogspot.comforwarded me some articles and a gf dining card in Italian, and a list of foods to try.  If anyone wants a copy,
I’ll be happy to pass them on.  She also sent me copies of articles that were posted on her blog.  Her articles
 were entertaining and really helpful.  I’m bookmarking her blog in hopes that one day I’ll be traveling too.

Another list member mentioned that she wrote about the Eating Out Project of the Italian coeliac society on
this list:

http://www.celiachia.it/ristoratori/default_eng.asp

 and sent the following links

"Here are some gf restaurants in Rome adhering to the project:

http://www.celiachia.it/ristoratori/ristoratori.asp?idregione=8&offset=0
If you click on "Avanti" you'll find some more.
It is better if your mom calls one day before. Some restaurants need to know in advance, in order to prepare
 pizza dough, etc.
Here are two more places with gf pizza in Rome:
http://www.dspizzapoint.com/en/where/9.html
Sometimes, in normal restaurants (not those I gave you the links for, of course, 'cause they know) they
cook rice and vegetables in pasta water. So, if your mom is taking risotto or veggies, she should ask about it,
and in that case ask if they can cook her food separately (it might take a long time for the risotto).”

Many posted to say that it was not  hard to eat in Rome. The Italians are aware of celiac.  With
restaurant cards and a few gf snacks (just in case), it was pretty easy to eat.  Stick to salads, veggies,
meats and cheeses. It was easier in Italy than it is here in the US.

Antother mentioned that on http://www.celiachia.it/voyager/pag6.asp  there is a list of common words celiacs need
and their Italian form, called Vademecum for the celiac voyager

Thanks again everyone.
You’re responses are so helpful,

nancy