From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 23:50:02 EST

Miscellaneous Notes:
--------------------

What Are You?  The following originally came from the Regina Chapter
of the Canadian Celiac Association, and was reprinted in the
Jul/Aug/Sep 1999 issue of the Edmonton Celiac Circular:

   Are you an active member, the kind that would be missed;
   Or are you just content that your name is on the list?
   Do you attend the meetings and mingle with the crowd,
   Or do you stay at home and crab both long and loud?
   Do you take an active part to help the group along,
   Or are you satisfied to be the kind to "just belong"?
   There is quite a program scheduled that means success if done;
   And it can be accomplished with the help of everyone.
   Attend the meetings often and help with hand and heart.
   Don't just be a member, but take an active part.
   Think this over, member, are we right or wrong?
   Are you an active member, or do you just belong?

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

Gluten-Free Camp for Kids:  The Massachusetts and Rhode Island Celiac
Support Group for Children will host Camp Celiac 2000, July 21-23,
2000, at Camp Aldersgate, North Scituate, Rhode Island.  Included are
lodging, canoeing, swimming, outdoor adventures, campfires, and best
of all, completely GF meals!  This all inclusive weekend is open to
celiacs ages five and older.  Reservations are on a first-come,
first-serve basis and are expected to fill up quickly.  For more
information email <[log in to unmask]>; visit their website at
<http://members.home.net/kellyleech/celiac/csgc.html>; call
508-399-6229 (ask for Tanis), or write to MA/RI CSSG for Children, 11
Level Acres Road, Attleboro, MA 02703-6843.  The deadline for
reservations is April 7, 2000.<1>

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

Gluten-Free Bouillons:  Here's an example of a company that has gone
out of its way to respond to celiac needs.  When Virginia Frisbee
called Orrington Farms to ask about the gluten-free (GF) status of a
product, Alan Levin called back to say that it was not GF.  But he
also suggested that his company could put together something that was
GF.  A few days later he called back with news of a product ready for
sampling!  He even contacted his suppliers to see if their ingredients
were GF.  He then sent jars of beef, chicken, ham, and seafood
bouillon/soup base to sample.  Virginia reports that they were
wonderful!

Virginia suggests we give them our business.  If enough of us purchase
from them they will see that there is a market for GF products.

The GF bouillons are available in 1 lb.  jars.  The seafood bouillon
is $6.88 per jar, and the other flavors are $4.75 per jar.  Write to
Sams Food Group Inc., 7461 South Sayre Ave., Bedford Park, IL 60638;
call 708-563-0870; or fax 708-563-0789.<2>

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

Helpful Tips from the Readers, edited by Terry Kotlensky

This month I decided to share with you some tips I have about bean
flour.  I have been using bean flour and with great success!  One type
I use is Beans 'R' Us.  I mix 2 cups rice flour, 2/3 cup Beans 'R' Us
flour, and 1/3 cup tapioca flour.  When using bean flour I omit
xanthan gum.  (Does it really even do anything?  I have left it out
and never noticed a difference.)  Bean flour is very moist.  I use
this mixture as my multi-purpose GF mix.

Now, where to find bean flour.  It isn't always easy or convenient.
Until now!  For Beans 'R' Us call 313-567-6046 or visit them on the
web at <http://www.beanflour.com>.  Another great source for all sorts
of good stuff--including Garfava flour--is Cecilia's Gluten Free
Grocery at 800-437-9086 or <http://www.glutenfreegrocery.com>.  Call
for a catalogue, it's excellent!

For the next newsletter, I'd like to get tips from anyone who has
tried recipes from Bette Hagman's newest bread cookbook.  Which
recipes were your favorites, which ones were fast and easy to make,
good for travel etc...  You can call me at 810-632-3083 or e-mail me
at <[log in to unmask]>.  Thanks, until next month!--Terry Kotlensky

Gluten-Free "Oreos"(tm):  Glutano has a new product called Chocolate
O's Sandwich Cookies which taste like "real" Oreo(tm) cookies.  They
are egg-free, and can be purchased from The Gluten-Free Pantry for
$2.69 per box.  Each box contains 26 little cookies.  E-mail
[log in to unmask] or call 860-633-3826.<3>