From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2005 13:41:24 -0800

I wanted to share a little something with you guys that has helped me.  I
was having some rather troubling sleep difficulties most of this year.  I
called into a local radio talk show hosted by a local holistic doctor (Jerry
Mixon MD) & asked him what he would suggest.  He said to buy a mid price
range bottle of melatonin.  The first night start with one tablet, the
second night 2 tablets, third night 3 tablets, etc.  When I finally got a
good night's sleep, stick to that dose.

I was skeptical that it would really work as I'd unsuccessfully tried
melatonin before.  After the second night, I was shocked to awaken refreshed
in the morning after sleeping soundly 7 uninterrupted hours.  I can't
remember when the last time I've done that.

For the next eight weeks I kept up my routine of taking 2 tablets a night &
I slept well EVERY single night.  I decided to see what would happen if I
skipped a night.  That night, I awakened at 3 AM & couldh't get back to
sleep for a couple hours which is what I used to do before starting
melatonin this time.  The next night, I took my usual 2 melatonin tablets &
voila! I slept like a baby again.  I've had two bad nights since I began
taking 2 tablets a night 8 weeks ago, one night I only took one tablet & the
other bad night I took no tablets.  I believe the doctor was right.

About brands:  The doctor told me to avoid the cheapest brand as they are
often unreliable for potency.  He also said not to throw my money away by
buying a high priced brand such as those sold in multi-level marketing.  He
said to buy a mid range brand such as Schiff, Twin Lab, etc.   I use Natrol
simply because that's the one my hubby picked up for me at my local health
food store.  The doctor recommended I stick with one brand if possible
because if you switch, you may get one that is a slightly different potency.

About doses:  Dr. Mixon said everybody's different & it may take 2 tablets
for one person, but six or more for someone else.  I sleep well with two of
the 2 mg Natrol tablets.

About melatonin:  Melatonin is a hormone the body releases at night that
helps us sleep more soundly.  As we age, our body makes less so we sleep
less soundly.  Taking melatonin as recommended by this doctor is safe, has
no side effects and doesn't make me drowsy.  It doesn't make me sleep; it
just lets me sleep.  I believe the reason I didn't get relief from using
melatonin years ago is that I didn't try increasing the dose nightly until I
got relief.  I simply took what was recommended on the bottle.

My hubby's been complaining of poor sleep lately, too.  Last night he took 2
of my Natrol tablets.  This morning he said he did sleep better than before.

Valerie in Tacoma