From:
Jessie James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 10:23:13 -0700

I posted this privately, then thought that it might be of interest to
someone else on the list.

So here it is.

"I have made dozens of them (tortillas)but not with corn flour.  You need
Masa Harina
which is specially prepared for the purpose. Available at health food stores
and some specialty counters.

I make mine in the Cuisenart (Sp?)  by putting in 1 cup Masa Harina and warm
water.  Amount on pkg.  Process until it makes a ball.  Form into about 8
small balls, walnut size.  Fold a piece of wax paper to fit in tortilla
press with fold towards the hinges. A bit too big is fine.

Put a small ball of dough in middle and press.  May find just slightly
behind middle towards the hinge is better.

You can peel wax paper off top of tortilla, put top down in your hand and
peel off other side.  Put in skillet with a bit of oil. As soon as it browns
in one or two spots flip it over.  It should puff up.  Place in tea towel
and stack the other on top.  This should keep them soft.

You can deep fry or oven bake them.

Believe me, this takes practice so try it out several times before the real
thing.  All your failures in shape, size and texture will probably be quite
edible, but maybe not pretty.

Any questions?"

For ice cream sandwiches I deep fried small tortillas then put two together
with slice of ice cream between.  Delicious !!! and sinfully fattening.

Jessie on Salt Spring Island BC