From:
The Maxwell Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 14:36:32 -0700

    I want to share an example of patient care in the hospital
situation.  My celiac friend recently had a hysterectomy at a local
hospital.  She went in the previous week to discuss her diet limitations
with the hospital dietician.  She notified her gastroenterologist of the
surgery in case she had some reactions.  Her first morning after surgery
she received for breakfast:  a croissant roll, cream of wheat and a
poached egg.  Needless to say, she was grateful that she was more than
half awake.

    I went in to visit my friend on day 2.  I visited the dieticians
office to see if they needed any gluten free advice and to share a list
of some gluten free products like soup.  They were not receptive to
anything I had to say or bring since I was not family.

    I went home and baked some gluten free rolls.  I snuck them to my
friend in a decorative tin.  I realize they probably would not have
appreciated that, but she certainly did ! ! !

    I know that this story is not an isolated incident.  I don't know
what the answer is for this situation, except that we should all be
visiting our local dieticians NOW and helping them understand celiac
sprue.  Leave them with your phone number so you can assist them when
needed, and hopefully it will be long before you need a hospital meal.

Janet
Modesto Calif.