From:
Claire Lazebnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 13:25:55 EDT

Several people told me they were having trouble finding the rice flakes (or
Poha Flakes) called for in the recipe I posted a couple of weeks ago for
Breakfast Cookies, and asked if I knew of any substitute.  Yesterday, I baked
the cookies using quinoa flakes (found easily in the cereal section of my
local health food store) in place of the rice flakes.  I'm happy to report
the cookies were delicious--thick and dense and almost nutty.  They weren't
quite as oatmeal-ly as with the rice flakes, but they were good in their own
way (and probably healthier).  The adults--all gluten-eaters--loved them, but
my oldest son rejected them, I guess because of the nutty flavor.  Next, I'm
going to try a mixture of rice and quinoa--that may be the perfect combo!