From:
Nina Gilmore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 05:36:33 -0800

Original Question: posted on Sun, 2 Dec 2001:

"For those of you who bake bread yourselves, do you have a particular bread
machine that you can recommend? I was in Sears last night checking out various
models and realized that I have no idea what our special GF flour/ingredients
require of a bread machine."

Response: Tues, 4 Dec 2001:

Hi Listmates, First of all, thank you for your many helpful comments
that will no doubt help me get started successfully with the enterprise
of baking my own bread. I'm sure that without this advice I would have
had a messy, possibly frustrating adventure.

To summarize, I'm including a couple comments which I'd call "general advice",
and then I list the various machines that were mentioned, with the number of
votes for each in parenthesis (if one vote, I don't list a number).

Here we go:

"You will get answers saying that this is that brand is best but anything that
you can program to eliminate one of the risings will be good.  It used to be
that there were only one or two brands that you could do that with."

"I have a bread maker but the bread comes out very heavy. If I were you, I'd
buy a good Kitchenaid mixer instead. You have to premix all the ingredients for
our breads using a bread machine, so you dirty a lot of dishes anyways and the
bread doesn't come out as well as when you use a mixer and bake it in the oven.
Also, you can't leave our ingredients in the bread machine to bake whole you're
at work because most of the recipes need eggs, so you don't save baking time
either."

1. Regal Kitchen Pro breadmaker - Walmart (2)
2. The Westbend Bakery-Style (double-paddled for GF dough) - Sears/Canada
3. Little Breadman bread machine (with the Bette Hagman Light Rice Bread
recipe)
4. Breadman Ultimate ("which is pretty programmable")
5. Zojurushi "said to be the best breadmaker for GF breads" (8)

I'm going to shop around and learn more about mixers and GF flours/dough.
Thanks again to all of you and may you all enjoy a safe, festive, fun GF
holiday :-)

Nina in MA