From:
chintala <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 11:58:03 +1000

I only joined this list a few weeks ago, but have found it a huge
support and enjoy your discussions.

My two youngest sons were born with a belly ache and diarroea. One is
worse than the other.  He went through numerous formulas to find one
that he could finally tolerate. The only solids he could eat for nearly
two years were potatoes, rice & corn. Anything else gave him severe
belly ache. Gradually he could eat more, and out of my 5 sons, he is the
least fussy and loves his food. He is still skinny, but still constant
belly ache, though not so severe as when a baby.

About two years ago he started constantly leaking faeces, even though he
was having very large movements each day. After many trips to doctors
and chiropractors I was told he was chronically constipated and to just
give him high fibre, laxatives and milanta for the belly ache. Great.

In desperation I went to a naturopath a couple of months ago who
suggested Celiac. My son improved out of sight and people commented on
it. His bowel finally returned to normal and no belly ache for weeks.

After contacting the celiac society, and finding out that he should be
tested because I might be causing him more harm, I put him back on
normal food but only lasted for two days, because he was instantly
suffering again, so I took him off and after a fortnight he was feeling
better.

I know that he needs testing, and if positive so do my other kids. So he
is back on normal food, but after 6 days he is suffering, sick and
leaking faeces all over again. How can I keep him like this to get a
diagnosis? HOw long do I need to do it for? I just don't think we can
cope with several weeks of it. I am so sorry that I didn't know about
the testing before starting him on gluten free.

Any help is appreciated. Many thanks. Tracy.