From:
MRS JANET RINEHART <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 00:09:13 -0500

Dear friends,

I understand your feelings of frustration when the airlines publish
that they have gluten-free meals and the actual meal is certainly far
from gluten free; when manufacturers have 800 numbers to call for
information and they have no idea what gluten is or seem to not care
about the sources of nebulous ingredients, when we get misleading or
inconsistent messages from consumer hotlines, etc. I could go on and
on, of course.

But I want to encourage you to do write letters to restaurants,
airlines, governmental agencies, and the like, but PLEASE do so with
restraint and clarity.   Labeling changes within the FDA are made at
a snail's pace.  That's just a fact.  We need to give them input, but
also we need to give them POSITIVE ENCOURAGEMENT to continue their
work.  Obviously, their work is not done, especially in terms of
significant help to celiacs.

In the past, the FDA and some food manufacturers received many heated
negative letters regarding lack of progress or lack of information
for celiacs.  Some of the organizations have a very negative view of
all celiacs from these letters. Therefore, negative castigations are
not welcomed as instigators of positive change.   Remember -- "we get
more with honey than vinegar."  My mother always told me that; didn't
yours?

Acknowledge the realistic fact:  We need to take personal
responsibility for planning in advance for our own food needs.  Some
day we will get more help from labeling, but until that time when
small steps will occur, and we can encourage the small steps in our
behalf by responsible letter writing and calling.  Remember also that
a thank you is a powerful tool, filled wtih incentive to do more.

Good luck with your product investigations.
I hope y'all have a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Janet Rinehart, CSA President, Houston, TX