From:
LESLIE AMENT-RUDER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Nov 1997 04:30:15 +0000

I would like to clarify some misinformation regarding the following
statements posted earlier regarding Diabetes and Celiac disease:

"Thanks for the 6 responses regarding the correlation between the celiacs &
diabetes.  The summaries are as follows:

1.  A listmember was first diagnosed with diabetes & then CD.  Diabetes
usually occurs from malabsorption problems.  Going on celiac diet resulted
in losing weight & then the disappearance of diabetes.

Thanks for the input!
Wendy, PA

PLEASE NOTE; DIABETES--WHETHER TYPE I (INSULIN DEPENDENT) OR TYPE II
(USUALLY TAKES ORAL HYPOGLYCEMIC PILLS) IS NOT CAUSED BY FOOD MALABSORPTION
PROBLEMS.  The malabsorption problems caused by celiac disease often causes
a diabetic's control of glucose levels to fluctuate widely and can be better
stabilized by sticking to a gluten-free diet.

Diabetes is an autoimmune disease whereby the person's body either does not
produce its own insulin (Type I) OR does not properly utilize the insulin
produced by the person's body (Type II).  Type II diabetes can often be
better controlled by loosing weight and exercising.  Type I diabetics must
take insulin for life.

This sort of misinformation can lead to people not understanding the
differences between the two diseases AND possibly cause harm should an
insulin dependent diabetic have an insulin reaction and need quick medical
assistance.

I suggest that listmembers who are not Doctors or well-informed, not give
out definitions of diseases on this listserve.  They could cause more harm
than help.

LAR
Boston, MA